dive planner update

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jun 28 04:18:55 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 13:03 +0200, Fabrice Rossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 27/06/2013 15:07, Dirk Hohndel a écrit :
> >> But in my experience, in the large majority of the cases people would
> >> use a planner, the plan would be something like "Let's plan a 30minute
> >> dive at 35m". And I think this should be easy to enter (i.e. require
> >> only one click). That's at least how I usually think of my dives, even
> >> for shore dives: Go to some depth and stay around there for some amount
> >> of time (e.g. until my computer shows x minutes of deco). Then ascend,
> >> possibly not at the maximally possible speed but usually I start by
> >> going to max depth first (and reasonably fast) and then work up from
> >> there.
> >
> > Interesting. What do others think... is that the preferred way to use
> > the planner?
>
> In my personal (limited) experience, this is indeed the starting point,
> even for tec dives, e.g. let's plan 10 minutes at 100m and see what the
> planner says based on those gases. Ultimately, the planner should even
> suggest gases based on minimal inputs (number of decos, use of travel
> gas, max END, etc.). But even for the basic thing (when you specify your
> gases by hand), you need configurable descent and ascent speeds. At last
> one of each, but it's much better if you can specify ascent speeds by
> depth intervals (e.g., 10m/min for up to the first deep stop, then
> 6m/min, 3m/min and finally 1m/min).

That was my expectation as well - which is why the Gtk version simply
assumed that the user would define how long it would take to get to a
certain depth.

The complexity of a sequence of inputs like this will prevent any
intuitive usability.

But let's tackle one problem at a time - as discussed in the other
thread, there's still a lot of work to do.

Thanks for the feedback, Fabrice