Companion app released on Play Store

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 1 11:09:28 PST 2013

Aurélien PRALONG <aurelien.pralong at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> The companion app for Android has been released on the Play Store (
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.subsurface)<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.subsurface>
> .
>
> For those who don't know it yet, it goal is to capture your dive locations
> via your smartphone GPS and send them to a web-service, so that you can
> import them in the desktop Subsurface. It is available in English, German
> (thanks again Dirk), French and Romanian (the store is only in English
> though, for now).
>
> Any contribution (bug reports [I hope not too many], feature requests,
> translations...) is welcome.

Thanks Aurélien,

I've used this app (an earlier incarnation, far less nice than the one
in the store right now) on a few dive trips and find it extremely nice.

The version in the play store now includes the "background" feature that
Linus has asked for - so if you are on a dive boat, just start the
service and it will send location fixes every thirty minutes.

Subsurface is supposed to do the right thing when those are imported,
but my guess is there's a little more work to be done here.

> Concerning near future features, I see :
> - Google maps integration
> - File export, digestable directly by the desktop Subsurface (thanks
> Leonidas for this suggestion)

Excellent.

I had been planning to announce this publicly today, but I am now
wondering if it wouldn't be better if we did a couple of days of
internal testing to sort out any bugs / issue before we release this to
the broader user base.

Quick question: who here has an Android device with GPS capability and
would be willing to try this out over the weekend?

The idea would be to simulate the typical user

- account creation / setup
- stand outside your house and pretend you are diving :-) and record a
  location
- start the background service before you go shopping or do something
  else where you move around
- create dives in Subsurface that match the sample data (so a dive that
  starts a few minutes after the time when you stood outside your house
  plus a few dives that allegedly happened during the time you were
  moving around (so simulate the dive boat)
- the download from webservice and make sure everything is recorded
  correctly, the dive locations are added, etc.

I will certainly do that and expect to find bugs on the Subsurface
side. If a few more people could try and provide data points that would
be great.

And then next week we can announce the Android app (and release an
update to Subsurface if necessary).

Anyone interested / willing to help with this?

Linus? Henrik? Amit? Lubomir? Jan? Anyone?

(and yes, eventually we'll need an iPhone app...)

Thanks