What can us mere mortals do to help?

Chris Lewis chrislewis915 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 16:52:33 PST 2013

On Mar 2, 2013 12:38 AM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:
>
> > I've been following sub surface since it was diveclog way back when.  I
had some small interaction with Linus in those days and provided some
sample dives from my computer etc.

> > I've always felt that I should do my but to contribute but I am unable
to program and to be honest I don't have either the time or the aptitude to
be able to learn.

> And that's totally ok. There is a ton of other stuff that needs to get
done!

> > So given that I can't code, translate or write proper English for
documentation, what would the developers most like help with?  If its
something I can do, I'm more than willing to have a go!

> You can provide feedback on the documentation. You can add chapters in
whatever style you are comfortable with. Experience shows that once we have
SOMETHING people will work on making it better. Having the first draft
chapter on any topic that is missing is extremely helpful
> You can, of course, test, test, test. Which platforms do you have access
to? Especially the Windows and Mac installers (particularly prior to a
release) could need a LOT more testing.
> Play with the import feature. Many of the websites are free, so are some
of the other programs (or they have free trials) - download dives into that
software / website, export it, import to Subsurface, compare.
> See the call for help with the Android app today (assuming you have an
Android phone)
> There are a TON of things like that you can do.
>
> > I imagine there are a number of lurkers on this last who may also feel
the same way, but maybe not.

> > Anyway, is there anything I can do?
>
> Was the list long enough? I can come up with a lot more ideas :-)
>
> /D

I have access to a win7 laptop and a couple of Linux machines. They both
run the mythbuntu distribution as they are my HTPCs.  I have struggled
building stuff occasionally as I think they are pretty stripped down from a
normal Ubuntu distro but I always seems to figure it out eventually.  Just
a case of installing a package or two.  I don't bother the list if I can
help it as I'm aware my case is probably fairly uncommon.

I can't download my DC on the laptop either as it has no serial port
(suunto vyper RS232 lead) and the USB cable I had got lost when I moved
house last.  Maybe I should buy another or a USB serial converter thing.

At the moment I tend to run subsurface using x forwarding over SSH  on my
windows laptop from one of the Linux boxes. Probably another unusual case.
I will try the windows installer when I get a chance.

I will also try to have a proper read of the docs as I tend to just click
away at stuff until I figure it out normally. If I can improve it at all i
will be back for some advice on how to make patches etc!

Chris