Thoughts about UI changes in 3.0.2

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 05:12:39 PST 2013

On 3 March 2013 02:46, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>
>> On 2 March 2013 23:37, Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at gmx.li> wrote:
>>> - I like that subsurface remembers frame sizes when changed very much, thx
>>> - the new dive edit dialog looks nice, but only in default size
>>> - i do not like the new dive edit dialog not (up)scaling when resizing
>>> the window, I've been able to have a really large Notes entry field
>>> before which is now only quite small
>>>

>> i had some difficulties with scaling the contents of a
>> GtkScrolledWindow based on dialog/parent resize.
>> what didn't make absolutely no sense to me is that you can capture a
>> dialog resize event, resize the contents of the scrolled widget to fit
>> that new dialog size, but then since you have overwritten a (void
>> returning handler) function, you cannot invalidate the window contents
>> at all so the dialog looks like a glitch (or at least on Windows OS).
>> so that sort of resize was something i admit i wasn't able to solve,
>> indeed.
>
> Very strange. Worst case we need to disable the scrollable container for 3.0.2

OK i found my mistake,

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.2/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget-configure-event

the snippet i've copy pasted from somewhere when testing the
"configure-event" override returned void in the callback and i assumed
this is the correct return type.
but if i return FALSE from a gboolean callback the event propagates
and the window contents are invalidated on Windows. Ubuntu didn't seem
to care and invalidated anyway.
so it is possible to capture the resize event and do layout hacks from
there. the question is, is this the correct way to manage the layout
and what should the end result look like?

changing the layout of the "dive edit" dialog to conform with the
inbound notes text seems hacky and to be honest i have no idea how to
do it correctly.

instead of making the notes inbound in the "dive edit" dialog i would
add a button in there called "edit notes" and open another window
where the user can "edit the notes" and make the dialog fullscreen if
he wants to.

lubomir