Subsurface maintaince in Debian [was Re: Bulding 3.0.1 Under Ubuntu 10.04 i386]

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Sun Mar 3 09:08:40 PST 2013

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> As a Debian Developer and as a professional diver, I am interested to
> help on this.

That sounds great.  Thanks for volunteering.

> I have been in touch with Khalid to help him on this and he replied:
> "No problem for to co-maintaince
>
> I'm sorry, but I've been very busy the last few months.
> "
>
> As Christian proposed, I am sure we can be move this package in the
> sport team.

By all means.  Will join that list shortly.  Would you, please, do the
honors ;)

> Cristian, if you want, we can work together to improve the package and
> maintain new releases for Jessie.

Of course.  Which means new packages will go to unstable/experimental.
Would it be possible to make back-porting to wheezy as painless as
possible?

But, bare in mind, although I can often find my way around
debian packages, I'm neither a maintainer nor a developer.  But I'll try
to do whatever I can.  I hope some other people on the subsurface list
want to help too.

> FYI, I reported some bugs on these two packages:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=libdivecomputer

Adding a symbol list file may probably be a good idea, I guess, bu you
know better.

> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=subsurface

Yes.  I read the comments.  The upstream maintainers expressed their wish
to have subsurface statically built against libdivecomputer, as ABI
changes occured frequently, but if you think package maintenance is easier
with shared linking, I'm almost sure there'll not be too many protests :)

Cheers,

--
Cristian