Self-contained executable for any Linux x86_64 distribution

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Mar 3 09:39:23 PST 2013

On 03/03/2013 11:46 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 3 March 2013 03:41, Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> wrote:
>>> https://ia601603.us.archive.org/30/items/SubsurfaceExecutablesSelfcontained/subsurface_301_selfcontained_linux_x86_64.tgz
>>> Running Subsurface:
>>> ===================
>>>
>>> Just invoke the script "subsurface/start_scripts/subsurface", e.g.:
>>>
>>>    $HOME/subsurface/start_scripts/subsurface

> there seems to be an error in your script on Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian 6.04.
> "line 45: cannot execute: No such file or directory"
> exec "$D2/bin/$E" "$@"

I just tried Ubuntu 12.04 in a virtual machine - using
  ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso   from
  http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=desktop&bits=64&release=lts
and it worked just fine.

Are you sure you invoked ".../subsurface/start_scripts/subsurface" ?

If so, can you please add "set -x" to the top of that script so
we might get an idea what's going wrong in your case?
What does "$D2/bin/$E" expand to?

>> in another thread i pointed out that this is a waste of energy and i
>> still think it is.

I still consider it an interesting experiment. So far, the idiotic
idea of the glibc developers to have a human-editable configuration
file - /etc/nsswitch.conf - optionally contain arbitrary names
of shared object files that are then loaded is the only real obstacle.

Maybe by linking with "mussle" or alike can provide a workaround for
this.

> but the fact it's a 30 MB download

30 MB are not really much today, it's like a minute of web video...

> and the networking does not work
> out of the box might be a deal break for most users.

Most of subsurface is well usable without any network connection -
and that is very good, because subsurface is precisely the kind
of tool I need to use on some shabby old laptop on some dive boat
far away from any network access.
And that is also the situation where being sure subsurface still
runs, and does not turn out to fail after the most recent distro-
update introduced some incompatible changes, is most valuable.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg