Self-contained executable for any Linux x86_64 distribution

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Mar 3 11:16:35 PST 2013

On 03/03/2013 07:56 PM, Miika Turkia wrote:
>> I tried invoking
>>    LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 subsurface
>> but as said, still got the english interface.
>
> There is no instructions on selecting language on the user manual (at
> least my grep didn't give any results). Following seems to give me
> german:
> LANGUAGE=de ./subsurface

Interesting, when I do this (with the normal, not-self-contained
subsurface) then a very few texts (like "Lizenz" or "Schließen")
are in German, while most texts continue to be in English.

Can somebody explain what is the basic mechanism of choosing
among those text alternatives - where and how is this decision
done in the code? (The subsurface code itself does not access
an environment variable named LANGUAGE anywhere.)

(Yes, I am obviously lacking any prior experience in localizing
software with whatever mechanism subsurface has chosen to implement
this. :-)

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg