Self-contained executable for any Linux x86_64 distribution

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Mar 3 11:41:30 PST 2013

On 03/03/2013 08:21 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> I still consider it an interesting experiment.
>
> I consider this very interesting, too. I doubt this will ever become the
> preferred way for us to ship Subsurface on Linux, though.

Sure, as I wrote in my README.txt, I consider this a "last resort"
option for people who desperately need to run subsurface (e.g. because
their dive computer will start to drop the oldest but not yet exported
dives tomorrow, so they are in a hurry to read out what is in there
and cannot wait until some distro-maintainer feels inclined to make
subsurface work again).

> I find it very frustrating how fragmented and non-portable the Linux
> ecosystem has become.

I wouldn't mind if that was for really good technical reasons -
e.g., I would have not minded ditching 32bit compatibility on
64bit kernels.

But the incompatibilities of contemporary Linux applications are for
no good reason at all, they are just because of "politics".

How ridiculous is it, for example, that a current Firefox does not
run on a RHEL 5.9 - which is still well within its support period?

And it seems that other Linux kernel based OSes, like Android, are
in no way better in that regard. Quite on the contrary: There seems
to be a big commercial interest in incompatibilities, its the
equivalent to the "planned obsolescense" that plagues material goods
since centuries - as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg