Self-contained executable for any Linux x86_64 distribution

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Mar 3 11:55:30 PST 2013

Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> writes:

> On 03/03/2013 08:19 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> The official way is not to do anything at all - Subsurface is supposed to
>> run in the language in which your OS is running.
>
> Where in the linux-X.Y.Z/.config file would I find a "language" setting
> for the OS? :-)

Oh boy. You are trying really hard to misunderstand me, are you?

The language in which the UI of your OS is running. Which I assume for
you is twm, correct?

> Or are you referring to the POSIX locale environent variables -
>>        LANG   Provide a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null.  (See  the  Base
>>               Definitions  volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 8.2, Internationalization Variables for the prece‐
>>               dence of internationalization variables used to determine the values of locale categories.)
>>
>>        LC_ALL If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all  the  other  internationalization  vari‐
>>               ables.
>>
>>        LC_CTYPE
>>               Determine the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for exam‐
>>               ple, single-byte as opposed to multi-byte characters in arguments and input files).
>>
>>        LC_MESSAGES
>>               Determine the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages writ‐
>>               ten to standard error.
>>
>>        NLSPATH
>>               Determine the location of message catalogs for the processing of LC_MESSAGES .
>>

> I tried those without success so far. "LANGUAGE" does not seem to be
> among those POSIX locale environment variables, so something else
> has to make use of it - but what?
>
> This may sound funny, but as long as I can think back using Unix
> derivatives (starting with NetBSD on some 68030 CPU), I never came
> across a switch that said "Choose here to change the language of
> your operating system". (I didn't miss such a switch, though.)

Any modern packaged OS asks you exactly that question at install time.

Let me rephrase that. Any commercial OS that I'm aware of plus the half
dozen or so open source based flavors of Linux-kernel based operating
systems do.

I'm at this point reasonably certain that you run some "built from
scratch" 1994-style personal OS using a Linux kernel... :-)