Limited support for Suunto DM4

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 5 11:06:58 PST 2013

Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> writes:

>>> I just sent one. And realized while preparing it that you can actually
>>> export dives in XML format from DM4. You just need to first select a
>>> dive (or more) and the menu item appears.
>>
>> So we should make sure that we support that format as well (is it UDDF
>> or something else?) - but of course the ability to read their native
>> file format is a great feature.
>
> Their own format with the profile, temperature and pressure blobs in
> base64 encoded binary blob. I have one sample attached. SOB if you
> want to include that.

I do. This makes my eyes bleed.

Linus - what's in the water in Finland? The Suunto guys clearly are
suffering from some serious degenerative brain issue... or they decided
to use our heroes from Switzerland as their design idols, the current
title holders for absolute heights of moronocity in file formats...

YIKES.

> I would guess that XSLT cannot be used to handle the blobs. So we
> should include those in blob elements and implement the parsing in C.
> (Base64 decode, and read floats, chars or ints from the buffer,
> depending on the blob.)

Yes - look at what I already have in uemis.c before you reinvent the
wheel - we have base64 decoding and some other infrastructure that might
help you.