new file formats for import

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 7 14:17:08 PST 2013

Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> Hey Miika,
>>
>> as our resident expert for imports… do you want to take a look at the two attachments to this bug report?
>>
>> http://trac.hohndel.org/ticket/87
>>
>> The txt file seems very straight forward - it's not XML but should be fairly easy to convert.
>> The binary file makes no sense whatsoever (at a brief examination).
>>
>> If you'd rather stick with just handling the XML import and want someone else to look at plain text stuff, just let me know
>
> I can take a look at it. C is not really my choice on parsing text
> files but I guess perl is not an option.
>
> I guess we'll just have to forget about the DB, MS Access encrypted or
> not does not really seem like being supported in Linux.

I wonder how much pain we want to incur here...
Rainer supports import from the access DB on divelogs.de (which is free
to use). And then exports to beautiful DLD files that we can import.

Given that this is an odd, vendor specific file format I think I'm
tempted to simply document the detour via divelogs.de for people who
want to bring in their old data.

What do people think?