new file formats for import

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Fri Mar 8 01:07:43 PST 2013

On 2013-03-07 17:23, Rainer Mohr wrote:
> The .dlg file is a renamed MS Access file, starting version 2.2.8
> this is even completely encrypted and unreadable by any means.
> There's
> a trick to get the unencrypted file, but that is not really an
> option,
> details on the divelogs.de import page for that format if of further
> interest.
>
> So you won't want to look into that, it sucks big time. And I'm not
> aware of a platform independent alternative to Access.

There is the mdbtools project. I have never used the library, but I
have used their commandline tools for converting an MS Access database
into an sqlite database. The resulting script was something very similar
to the description here [2]. It worked very well for me.

Once you have converted into an sqlite database, that can be imported
much more easily into subsurface. But of course you would still need a
script for the conversion. Certainly not ideal, but maybe better than
nothing at all?

[1] http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://cltb.ojuba.org/en/articles/mdb2sqlite.html

Jef