new file formats for import

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 8 07:37:02 PST 2013

On Mar 8, 2013, at 3:14 AM, Rainer Mohr wrote:

> (Repost, forgot the mailing list)

>> I think Dirk was hoping for the help in parsing the OceanLog and
>> getting back understandable logs. So we would be uploading the MS
>> Access DB (or the .txt?) and receiving a nicely parsed DLD back. Or we
>> could be uploading some other divelog formats we do not support
>> ourselves for parsing.

No - I don't think that Rainer runs a file conversion service.
He runs an online divelog, just like we do a standalone divelog.

> Well, then I completely misunderstood Dirk's Posting above…

No, Rainer, you didn't. That was exactly what I was proposing. Tight
integration that helps both sides. Not a file conversion service :-)

> Problem is, it's not only the Oceanlog. There are many more formats that rely on Access or other proprietary formats (MS SQL compact, a few binary ones).
> I'd have to write a new script for each one, that generates DLD instead of writing to the database, each format needs detailed explanation of where to find the files, etc. So pointing the users to divelogs.de, letting them upload their files there and then importing everything in Subsurface via the API sounds like the way to go for me... Plus, you could publish your dives in the cloud (divelogs) via Subsurface if you like.

Exactly. We had a number of requests in the past to integrate with
an online service - this allows us to focus on the standalone app
and the reasonable XML formats that we can import directly (and
some less reasonable ones like SDM4), but then takes advantage
of the work that Rainer has already done for some of the other
formats.
And it gives Rainer (and divelogs.de) integration with another
standalone app. So both sides benefit.