uwatec irda device to use

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Sat Mar 9 06:08:08 PST 2013

On 09-03-13 14:34, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> The only way I found sofar to extract dives from my uwatec dive computer
> through IRDA connection was to specify /dev/ircomm0 as input device in
> subsurface UI. And it's painfully slow... From what I've understood
> sofar, this is a SIR-emulation layer, whereas I have a FIR sigmatel
> device, wich may explain the slowness. However, I didn't found any other
> irda device created when running 'irattach irda0'. So, is there any
> better solution available ?
>
> OK, this is probably more related to libdivecomputer, or to linux irda
> support, but I guess other people in the list have the same kind of
> diving computer.

For IrDA communication the device name you enter in the subsurface UI is
irrelevant, because it's not used at all. IrDA communication uses sockets under
the hood, which don't need a device name (just like regular sockets it needs an
address, but for the Uwatec dive computers this address is autodetected).

So if you claim it only works with /dev/ircomm0, that can't be true, and there
must be something else wrong.

When you run irattach it just binds the irda stack to the irda device. No device
node is created as far as I know.

Jef