Subsurface translations move to transifex

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 07:54:00 PDT 2013

On 1 March 2013 21:01, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> This is especially for all the volunteers that do translations...
>
> With Kévin's help we have set up a project at Transifex and I'd love for
> people to play with this and let us know if this will work for
> maintaining and coordinating our translations.
>
> Could all of you create an account there and check out their user
> interface and ask questions now (instead of "during the last three days
> before the next release")?

i've been trying out transifex for a while and the system is intuitive.
well, there are some small annoyances, but it could be still WIP, so i
haven't send any feedback...

also i haven't tried the download/upload feature yet, but apparently
the online editor is strict about the count of '(', which could be a
PO/getext limitation, of which i'm not aware of.

one thing the README surprises me about is the usage of braces(), on
which a "savvy" english literate once told me that they should not be
used much in official literature, but only for parts which can be
excluded from the text completely. for example - in my language, we
don't use them that much at all, so given the transifex limitation
some of the braces in my (partial) translation look a bit weird and
overused, while the same look definitely better in english.

another problem i'm seeing in the online editor is while it shows
where the EOL break is at in the base text, it does not provide the
current cursor position, so i have to copy-paste the text into a "real
editor" to conform with our 80 chars per line norm, which i kind of
like.

finally, i'm pretty sure that a public translation submission DIFF of
sorts, might also on their TODO list and this would be a nice feature.

lubomir