Subsurface translations move to transifex

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Mar 10 09:21:09 PDT 2013

"Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 1 March 2013 21:01, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> This is especially for all the volunteers that do translations...
>>
>> With Kévin's help we have set up a project at Transifex and I'd love for
>> people to play with this and let us know if this will work for
>> maintaining and coordinating our translations.
>>
>> Could all of you create an account there and check out their user
>> interface and ask questions now (instead of "during the last three days
>> before the next release")?
>>

> i've been trying out transifex for a while and the system is intuitive.
> well, there are some small annoyances, but it could be still WIP, so i
> haven't send any feedback...

Transifex itself has been around for a while. Our use of it is WIP.

> also i haven't tried the download/upload feature yet, but apparently
> the online editor is strict about the count of '(', which could be a
> PO/getext limitation, of which i'm not aware of.

I absolutely hate that it counts parentheses. That's flat out stupid.

> one thing the README surprises me about is the usage of braces(), on
> which a "savvy" english literate once told me that they should not be
> used much in official literature, but only for parts which can be
> excluded from the text completely. for example - in my language, we
> don't use them that much at all, so given the transifex limitation
> some of the braces in my (partial) translation look a bit weird and
> overused, while the same look definitely better in english.

The English text is mostly written by a German who speaks ok English (or
so he is told) but certainly is not a great literate... then random
people who are native speakers of a couple dozen other languages help
and fix things he does wrong. :-)

I think the number of native English speakers in our top contributor
list is... zero.

> another problem i'm seeing in the online editor is while it shows
> where the EOL break is at in the base text, it does not provide the
> current cursor position, so i have to copy-paste the text into a "real
> editor" to conform with our 80 chars per line norm, which i kind of
> like.

Yes - Kévin and I talked about this earlier - it's kind of an odd tool
for translating flat text like the README...

> finally, i'm pretty sure that a public translation submission DIFF of
> sorts, might also on their TODO list and this would be a nice feature.

Yes. I still haven't figured out how consensus is created, how the
reviewing thing works, etc.