Sizing differences between print to file and print to page

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Mar 18 10:14:53 PDT 2013

Amit Chaudhuri <amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed something odd when printing to file compared to printing
> direct to an A4 page using the 6 dives per page setting (but with only 1
> dive selected).  Visually, the print to file is better because it shows all
> 4 borders; the direct to page operation misses the border which runs across
> the top.

This sounds like their is something odd going on with scaling to the
paper format.

> If I then print for pdf file and superimpose the two it looks as though the
> pdf version is being scaled compared to the other.  The right hand border
> of the image, which is positioned top left, appears to be common but all
> other external borders are 'further in' on the pdf.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

> Anyone else seeing this (on Linux - openSUSE 12.2)? My Mac seems to be
> happy printing much closer to the top of the page.

Print formating and sizing is still pretty much black magic as far as
I'm concerned. You should add some debug print outs as to what sizes we
get passed in for the print area in both cases...