Building subsurface on Ubuntu (was: subsurface Digest, Vol 16, Issue 117)

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Tue Mar 19 06:55:46 PDT 2013

On 19.03.2013 12:20, Diego Mainou wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>

> This is what synoptic shows on my end
>
> subsurface (1.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

OK, you are on <=12.10, right? Seems 3.0.2 is only available in 13.04.

This Ubuntu/debian thing seems to become a never ending story. For me
this is something really serious and prevents me from recommending this
distribution any further. Might be that it is easy to use but not having
the ability to have current software available is a show stopper.

Anyway, lets concentrate on the "build your own" story. After reviewing
we really should include this in the user manual and on the webSite. I'd
start with this first draft:

1. Install all needed dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglib2.0-dev
libgconf2-dev libsoup2.4-dev libxslt1-dev zlib1g-dev libosmgpsmap-dev

2. checkout and build libdivecomputer
git clone
git://libdivecomputer.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer
cd libdivecomputer
git checkout release-0.3 #ignore for most current source which may have
unknown issue
autoreconf --install
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..

3. checkout and build subsurface
git clone git://subsurface.hohndel.org/subsurface.git
cd subsurface
git checkout v3.0.2 #ignore for most current source which may have
unknown issue
make
sudo make install
cd ..

Comments to 2. and 3.:
- In case you want to use the bleeding edge source which may burn down
your house just omit the "git checkout xxxx" stuff.
- In case you want to update the source later on just do a "git pull"
inside the source directories and start another "make" and "sudo make
install" afterwards

Diego, could you and anyone else able to please test this so we can
include this in the official documentation?

//Jan