Building subsurface on Ubuntu

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Tue Mar 19 06:59:13 PDT 2013

On 19.03.2013 14:55, Jan Schubert wrote:
> On 19.03.2013 12:20, Diego Mainou wrote:
>> Hi Jan,
>>

>> This is what synoptic shows on my end
>>
>> subsurface (1.2-1) unstable; urgency=low
> OK, you are on <=12.10, right? Seems 3.0.2 is only available in 13.04.
>
> This Ubuntu/debian thing seems to become a never ending story. For me
> this is something really serious and prevents me from recommending this
> distribution any further. Might be that it is easy to use but not having
> the ability to have current software available is a show stopper.
>
> Anyway, lets concentrate on the "build your own" story. After reviewing
> we really should include this in the user manual and on the webSite. I'd
> start with this first draft:

Sorry for the line breaks, lets try again:

1. Install all needed dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglib2.0-dev \
libgconf2-dev libsoup2.4-dev libxslt1-dev zlib1g-dev libosmgpsmap-dev

2. checkout and build libdivecomputer
git clone \
git://libdivecomputer.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer
cd libdivecomputer
git checkout release-0.3 #ignore for most current source
autoreconf --install
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..

3. checkout and build subsurface
git clone git://subsurface.hohndel.org/subsurface.git
cd subsurface
git checkout v3.0.2 #ignore for most current source
make
sudo make install
cd ..

4. Start using subsurface