Import binary dumps

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 19 07:29:05 PDT 2013

Koppi <koppi at action.at> writes:

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Jan Schubert wrote:
>
>> On 19.03.2013 09:59, Markus Koppenberger wrote:
>>> Hi subsurface list,
>>>
>>> I'm new here, actually user of subsurface since yesterday only. Before I tried to use DiversDiary on my Mac with my Nemo Excel, but it would not work at all, so I'm quite happy having found this Open Source alternative!
>>>
>>> My problem is that DiversDiary would fail parsing the binary data of some dives, and then stopping import completely ignoring all subsequent dives on the DC.

That's annoying...

>>> With subsurface I could import the dives from the DC without problem (DiversDiary was failing after the first dive), but I would be interested if there is a way to import earlier dives which are not available anymore on the DC from a binary dump which I downloaded with libdivecomputer tools.

Which commands did you use to create the dumps? If they are indeed
complete memory dumps then it is relatively straight forward to get
those imported into Subsurface.

>> Using ldc dumps is something we have discussed in here some time ago.
>> I guess it is already possible or will be in the near future, so keep
>> your dumps. Dirk and Jef should be able to give some more
>> information.

It's still a bit tricky as you'll have to setup the simulator to connect
Subsurface to.

Jef and I have idly discussed being able to read the dumps directly (as
they have a well defined format) - but I never assumed there'd be all
that many users of that feature out there.

> Thanks Jan, I will backup my dumps then, I was also trying to import the XML produced by the "universal" binary of libdivecomputer, but it would fail.
> Maybe I should have a look if I can transform the XML to a subsurface compatible format.

The universal binary does not produce XML files that Subsurface can
parse at this point. It produces dumps of the dive computer memory that
can be manually analyzed or fed to a simulator that Subsurface can then
connect to. That should work on the Mac as well - but it usually
requires that the libdivecomputer with which Subsurface is linked is
compiled with a special patch - so this may or may not be something you
can easily do by yourself...

>> Do you have your "old" logs also avaiable inside DiversDiary? There
>> might be an option to provide an import for them also if you could
>> provide some sample data.
>
> Well, my problem is that in the first place I could not import (all) my dives into DiversDiary, so, I have some, but not all ...

We'd still be interested to see exports from DiversDiary. What is the
native file format? Does the software offer an XML or UDDF export?

I'll admit that I have never heard of DiversDiary :-)