Building subsurface on Ubuntu

Robert C. Helling helling at lmu.de
Tue Mar 19 07:31:16 PDT 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

Dirk,

> What is wrong with http://subsurface.hohndel.org/building/

I would agree that this is the place where this information should be
found. OTOH I would agree with Jan, that for some people (like the average
Ubuntu user) some of the information there might be a bit implict in the
current version. Like we give all shell commands to build libdivecompuer
but we don't do that for subsurface. And this is the gap that Jan probably
wanted to fill in.

Out of curiosity, I have just tried on my old netbook (running Ubuntu
12.04 LTS)  to download and install from scratch. As far as dependencies
go, in my case I had to also

sudo apt-get install autoconf libtool

in order to build libdivecomputer (if we are painfully explicit we should
at least be complete). In particular, the fact that libtool was not
installed was not obvious from the error message that autoreconf gave...
And of course one has to say 'yes' to all missing dependencies.

Best
Robert

                       Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
     stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de