Import binary dumps

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Mar 19 07:40:14 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Koppi <koppi at action.at> wrote:

>  I was also trying to import the XML produced by the "universal" binary of libdivecomputer, but it would fail.
> Maybe I should have a look if I can transform the XML to a subsurface compatible format.

Hmm. The libdivecomputer universal xml very much used to be something
we imported (it was how I imported some of my older dives).

But the "universal xml" that libdivecomputer outputs is actually
invalid XML. So one thing that you need to do is to make the ldc xml
be "proper" xml, by surrounding it with a root node (otherwise you'll
have multiple "dive" nodes at the root level, and libxml will refuse
to even start parsing it).

So you need to edit the ldx xml to make it valid, the easiest approach
is to just put a <ldcdives> line at the beginning and a </ldcdives> at
the end.

That should get you a reasonable import. No guarantees that it imports
everything, but it should get you the basics.

                Linus