Building subsurface on Ubuntu

Robert C. Helling helling at lmu.de
Tue Mar 19 07:49:45 PDT 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> So let's add that to the website.

I would support that. Just copy&paste from Jan's mail.

> I'll be more than happy to rewrite that page so it is easier to
> understand.

I think the 1. 2. 3. approach giving explicit commands to copy&paste to
the command line is the way to go. It is relatively newbee save and people
who know more can read and abstract for themselves.

> The question that SHOULD be shown is "would you like to upgrade to a
> real Linux distribution?" and then links to openSUSE, Fedora or
> Archlinux :-)

YMMV. All I see is that more and more people in my bubble have moved to
Ubuntu in recent years, I see this as the distribution of choice for many
physics/maths university departements (often having used Debian before)
but for other people as well. For my wife for example (coming from a
non-tech background) Ubuntu was the first distribution she could accept
having a MS background. My own trajectory was: Starting with some SUSE 4.x
CDs in 1994 transitioning to Debian around '99 and now choosing Ubuntu
more and more often (in particular if I want to quickly install on a box
without being asked too many questions or if I want people like my dad
being able to install upgrades themselves). And no, I don't like unity
(and usually turn it off).

Best
Robert

                       Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
     stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de