Building subsurface on Ubuntu

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 19 10:18:48 PDT 2013

Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at GMX.li> writes:
> Indeed. If Ubuntu is unable to provide recent software for their users
> we should make it possible. Lets add an separate sub section for Ubuntu
> on the Linux build part on the website. Given that not all people from
> the Ubuntu user group are familiar with something like a shell we may
> also contain a short section how to open a shell/terminal (CTRL-ALT-T)
> and creating a subdirectory (mkdir src) for checking the sources out and
> building.

No, getting people who can't figure out how to start a terminal to
compile Subsurface is the WRONG solution.

> An even better option would be to add own maintained .deb files to the
> subsurface website and ideally providing a own repository like Google is
> doing for Google Chrome. Then users would be able to just klick and
> install subsurface on the go.

Yes - I thought that several people here voluteered to do just that. But
I'm still waiting for someone to point me to the right URL.

This is the ONLY viable solution to get people who don't know how to
open a terminal to be able to run Subsurface.

> Yes, at least in Europe Ubuntu (incl. derivates like Mint) seems to be
> the way to go for (former) Windows users. If I remember correctly
> Ubuntu, is also responsible for a good number of accesses in the website
> statistics reportet by Dirk lately. This is an even stronger indicator
> that we should do something to serve the Ubuntu community.

No, Ubuntu is WAY smaller than Linux, Mac or Windows - less than 10% of
the website hits.