Import binary dumps

Markus Koppenberger koppi at action.at
Tue Mar 19 11:54:30 PDT 2013

On 19/03/2013, at 3:29 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> Koppi <koppi at action.at> writes:

> That's annoying...

Yes, after all from a software which you can download from Mares'
officially website. I maybe wouldn't have purchased the interface
if there was no official support for Mac.

> Which commands did you use to create the dumps? If they are indeed
> complete memory dumps then it is relatively straight forward to get
> those imported into Subsurface.
>
>>> Using ldc dumps is something we have discussed in here some time ago.
>>> I guess it is already possible or will be in the near future, so keep
>>> your dumps. Dirk and Jef should be able to give some more
>>> information.
>
> It's still a bit tricky as you'll have to setup the simulator to connect
> Subsurface to.
>
> Jef and I have idly discussed being able to read the dumps directly (as
> they have a well defined format) - but I never assumed there'd be all
> that many users of that feature out there.
>
>> Thanks Jan, I will backup my dumps then, I was also trying to import the XML produced by the "universal" binary of libdivecomputer, but it would fail.
>> Maybe I should have a look if I can transform the XML to a subsurface compatible format.
>
> The universal binary does not produce XML files that Subsurface can
> parse at this point. It produces dumps of the dive computer memory that
> can be manually analyzed or fed to a simulator that Subsurface can then
> connect to. That should work on the Mac as well - but it usually
> requires that the libdivecomputer with which Subsurface is linked is
> compiled with a special patch - so this may or may not be something you
> can easily do by yourself...

I followed Linus' tip to wrap the whole XML into a root element and
import worked well!

But as I may want to dig a little further into these issues it would be
nice if you could point me to information about the simulator.

>>> Do you have your "old" logs also avaiable inside DiversDiary? There
>>> might be an option to provide an import for them also if you could
>>> provide some sample data.
>>
>> Well, my problem is that in the first place I could not import (all) my dives into DiversDiary, so, I have some, but not all ...
>
> We'd still be interested to see exports from DiversDiary. What is the
> native file format? Does the software offer an XML or UDDF export?

DiversDiary allows export to UDDF and UDCF format, I will prepare
some exports and the corresponding dumps so you may have a look
on it. Dirk, shall I send the data to you personal address?

> I'll admit that I have never heard of DiversDiary :-)

Well, as mentioned before, it's the official software for Mac from Mares.
You may download it from their web [1] or install it using AppStore

koppi

[1] http://www.mares.com/downloads.php?cat=software&region=eu