Import binary dumps

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 19 12:37:03 PDT 2013

Markus Koppenberger <koppi at action.at> writes:

>> Which commands did you use to create the dumps? If they are indeed
>> complete memory dumps then it is relatively straight forward to get
>> those imported into Subsurface.

>> It's still a bit tricky as you'll have to setup the simulator to connect
>> Subsurface to.
>>
>> Jef and I have idly discussed being able to read the dumps directly (as
>> they have a well defined format) - but I never assumed there'd be all
>> that many users of that feature out there.
>>
>>> Thanks Jan, I will backup my dumps then, I was also trying to import the XML produced by the "universal" binary of libdivecomputer, but it would fail.
>>> Maybe I should have a look if I can transform the XML to a subsurface compatible format.
>>
>> The universal binary does not produce XML files that Subsurface can
>> parse at this point. It produces dumps of the dive computer memory that
>> can be manually analyzed or fed to a simulator that Subsurface can then
>> connect to. That should work on the Mac as well - but it usually
>> requires that the libdivecomputer with which Subsurface is linked is
>> compiled with a special patch - so this may or may not be something you
>> can easily do by yourself...
>
> I followed Linus' tip to wrap the whole XML into a root element and
> import worked well!

Based on what you wrote above I thought you had binary memory dumps.
Those are a pain to work with. I must have missed the you mentioned the
XML output.

> But as I may want to dig a little further into these issues it would be
> nice if you could point me to information about the simulator.

I'll ask Jef to do that - it's his baby :-)
And frankly I have never tried to use it on a Mac.

>>> Well, my problem is that in the first place I could not import (all) my dives into DiversDiary, so, I have some, but not all ...
>>
>> We'd still be interested to see exports from DiversDiary. What is the
>> native file format? Does the software offer an XML or UDDF export?
>
> DiversDiary allows export to UDDF and UDCF format, I will prepare
> some exports and the corresponding dumps so you may have a look
> on it. Dirk, shall I send the data to you personal address?

UDDF you should be able to import into Subsurface.
So please try that. If it fails, send a test file to the mailing list
(so that Miika can look at it)

>> I'll admit that I have never heard of DiversDiary :-)
>
> Well, as mentioned before, it's the official software for Mac from Mares.
> You may download it from their web [1] or install it using AppStore

Interesting. I'll have to try it (as I have a supported Mares computer
as my backup computer...)