DiveBoard and Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 19 13:48:45 PDT 2013

Kristian,

I hope you don't mind that I added the mailing list and especially our
XSLT guru back into the conversation...

Kristian Rikvold-Jess <kristije at gmail.com> writes:

>>> I've considering using Subsurface, but I would like to be able to log
>>> my dives to my Diveboard profile. The only way to get my dives out of
>>> Subsurface that I've discovered is to save them as an xml. This file
>>> looks prety easy and clean, but are suported nowhere. I've mailed with
>>> the Diveboard team, and they say the format is not standard or stable,
>>> and therefor are not willing to support it. They say you are working
>>> on an conector directly to their API though.
>>>
>>> Two questions therefor arise, is the conector soon arriving? And will
>>> you make a export option to a standard export format?
>>
>> I can't help you with the second part - it's our format. It has
>> developed over time as our needs changed and will continue to do
>> so. Whether or not a third party application will support this or not is
>> outside of our control.
>
> Well, suporting a standard stable format is within you controll. I do
> understand if third party applications will not support a non stable
> format.

(having played with a bunch of dive log software I'd argue that our
format is much easier to parse and certainly no less stable than the
formats of other divelog software - we just appear to have a slightly
faster development trajectory as some of them do...)

> But it makes it hard to move dives. Adding an option to export
> to DAN D7 or Suunto SDE format, for example, and continue to use your
> own format internaly would serve both needs.

That's a very good point.

Miika, how hard would it be to add UDDF export... you already did the
DLD export for the divelogs.de integration and that looked reasonably
straight forward - would the same be true for UDDF?