Ubuntu still shows 1.2

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:10:08 PDT 2013

On 19 March 2013 16:32, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at GMX.li> writes:
>> I'm not a Ubuntu/debian expert but maybe you have to include this
>> universe repository first? Isn't this standard? Can someone with more
>> experience in Ubuntu sheed some light into here?
>
> Frankly, Ubuntu is more and more falling into the "why bother" category
> for me. I'd rather suggest that people use an actual Linux distribution
> than some OS built on top of the "Ubuntu kernel".

i can't even find Subsurface for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debuan 6.0.4 and not
sure what i'm doing wrong here but this whole thing seems like a
complicated mess. people should not correct me as "blah-blah - you
should call this command and that" as the whole concept of software
download is broken here for the simple end user on multiple levels (in
this case the common diver user). software package download can be in
fact a superior solution if maintained flawlessly (which is clearly
hard), but if an OS is not distributing the software that i want, i
really should not need to compile it using technically complicated
tools like GCC, Make and autotools, and this pretty much covers
it...what is the logic here - compile software on your own, so that
when the build fails you have to find a solution (more -dev libraries,
autotool crap and such) and become a NERD, through forum posts and
mailing lists?

blah..."not thanks, i have no time for that" the regular desktop
consumer user says. "provide me with a better solution", he thinks.

my suggestion is to find every single possible distro that has an user
base for the peace of software, compile a binary for it - preferably
statically linking uncommon libraries like libdivecomputer and then
showing a single command line downloading shared libraries for it to
run (sudo apt-get <runtime libs>).
this is obviously a futile suggestion, but oh well...

lubomir