Ubuntu still shows 1.2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 19 19:46:57 PDT 2013

"Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 19 March 2013 16:32, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at GMX.li> writes:
>>> I'm not a Ubuntu/debian expert but maybe you have to include this
>>> universe repository first? Isn't this standard? Can someone with more
>>> experience in Ubuntu sheed some light into here?
>>
>> Frankly, Ubuntu is more and more falling into the "why bother" category
>> for me. I'd rather suggest that people use an actual Linux distribution
>> than some OS built on top of the "Ubuntu kernel".
>>

> i can't even find Subsurface for Ubuntu 12.04 and Debuan 6.0.4 and not
> sure what i'm doing wrong here but this whole thing seems like a
> complicated mess. people should not correct me as "blah-blah - you
> should call this command and that" as the whole concept of software
> download is broken here for the simple end user on multiple levels (in
> this case the common diver user). software package download can be in
> fact a superior solution if maintained flawlessly (which is clearly
> hard), but if an OS is not distributing the software that i want, i
> really should not need to compile it using technically complicated
> tools like GCC, Make and autotools, and this pretty much covers
> it...

My point exactly. Joe Diver does not want to compile Subsurface. Period.

> what is the logic here - compile software on your own, so that
> when the build fails you have to find a solution (more -dev libraries,
> autotool crap and such) and become a NERD, through forum posts and
> mailing lists?
>
> blah..."not thanks, i have no time for that" the regular desktop
> consumer user says. "provide me with a better solution", he thinks.

Yes

Preference is to have Subsurface in the OS.
We can't do that on Windows and Mac (sadly - App Store is explicitly
incompatible with the GPL), but at least for Linux we should be able to.
And if we can't have that, we have to have downloads that you click on
and they just install...

> my suggestion is to find every single possible distro that has an user
> base for the peace of software, compile a binary for it - preferably
> statically linking uncommon libraries like libdivecomputer and then
> showing a single command line downloading shared libraries for it to
> run (sudo apt-get <runtime libs>).
> this is obviously a futile suggestion, but oh well...

I don't think it's futile. It takes some effort on our part.
We have trivial installation on Fedora (part of the OS), openSUSE
(simply download the rpm with your browser, open it in the installer, it
pulls in the dependencies), ArchLinux. I'm sure there are other that I'm
forgetting. And this is possible to do with Ubuntu as well and we had
volunteers eager to set things up - but it hasn't happened, yet.

I'm willing to host whatever is needed on hohndel.org.