Ubuntu still shows 1.2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 19 21:35:58 PDT 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Robert C. Helling wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2013, at 3:46 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
>> And this is possible to do with Ubuntu as well and we had
>> volunteers eager to set things up - but it hasn't happened, yet.
>
> I thought that had been done in
> http://lists.hohndel.org/pipermail/subsurface/2013-February/004506.html
>
> … well, at least in principle.
>
> I could not try Yannik's .deb's directly since those are for AMD and my box is on intel.

Please tell me you are joking. AMD64 is the name of the architecture that Intel calls x86-64, but since AMD came first to market with it that's the name that stuck.
But most any Intel chip (with the exception of some Atoms) sold in the past five years does happily run AMD64 binaries.

(and in the interest of full disclosure… I work at Intel - not that that's a secret or anything)

> But I could clone Yannik's git repositories, place a tar ball of rev 3.0.1 in the directory above and run
>
> dpkg-buildpackage
>
> which created (amongst other things) a .deb that I could install using
>
> sudo dpkg -i subsurface_3.0.1-1_i386.deb
>
> Now the only thing remains is to bring this up to our current release. My naive tries to pull Yannick's repository into a current subsurface clone unfortunately resulted in a lot of conflicts.
>
> Will look into this after some more sleep (or if somebody with some more git knowledge could help…).

As I feared, at the end of the day I need to figure out how to do this myself…