Ubuntu still shows 1.2

Martin Gysel me at bearsh.org
Wed Mar 20 01:16:57 PDT 2013

Am 20.03.2013 03:46, schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
< snip >
>> my suggestion is to find every single possible distro that has an user
>> base for the peace of software, compile a binary for it - preferably
>> statically linking uncommon libraries like libdivecomputer and then
>> showing a single command line downloading shared libraries for it to
>> run (sudo apt-get <runtime libs>).
>> this is obviously a futile suggestion, but oh well...
>
> I don't think it's futile. It takes some effort on our part.
> We have trivial installation on Fedora (part of the OS), openSUSE
> (simply download the rpm with your browser, open it in the installer, it
> pulls in the dependencies), ArchLinux. I'm sure there are other that I'm
> forgetting. And this is possible to do with Ubuntu as well and we had
> volunteers eager to set things up - but it hasn't happened, yet.
>
> I'm willing to host whatever is needed on hohndel.org.

Dirk, I saw you once configured opensuse's build service (still at v1.1
[1]). now I'm wondering if it's possible to update it and also extend it
to build for other supported distros (fedora, debian, ubuntu, mandriva
[2]). doing that, we always have uptodate packages to which we can link
in the download area (maybe with a small disclaimer)

/martin

[1]
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=subsurface&project=home%3Ahohndel
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_supported_build_targets