Ubuntu PPA

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 22 10:49:51 PDT 2013

Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to Miika the launchpad PPA is beginning to populate... so the
>> naive question from the non-Ubuntu user is... what are the instructions
>> we should have on the website to tell people how to install these?
>>
>> Clicking on "technical details" on our launchpad site it says
>>

>>    This PPA can be added to your system manually by copying the lines below and adding them to your system's software sources.
>>
>>    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/subsurface/subsurface/ubuntu precise main
>>    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/subsurface/subsurface/ubuntu precise main
>>

>> Which sounds like people need to figure out how to manually add two
>> lines as root to some system file... I hope that's not the only way to
>> do this... I was led to believe that Ubuntu is all about being easy for
>> the non technical user... what am I missing?
>
> On terminal:
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:subsurface/subsurface
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install subsurface

On the terminal?

I thought that Ubuntu was all BS.
Now I KNOW that it's all BS.

Oh well. I'll put it on the website. Remind me - Ctrl-Alt-T to get a
terminal? And I hope that the default user is in the sudo group? So all
they need is their own password?

> After this is done, subsurface will be updated as part of normal
> system updates whenever there is a new package available.

That part at least is somewhat convenient. Especially as now WE control
the updates...

I'll boot my Ubuntu system later and test this before I put it on the
website.