Ubuntu PPA

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 22 12:46:27 PDT 2013

I just tried this with a 12.10 box

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> writes:

> Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
>> 1) Open Ubuntu Software Center
>> 2) Edit --> Software Sources
>> 3) Other Software --> Add --> ppa:subsurface/subsurface

this requires entering the password (which makes sense - should we
mention that? we don't go into that much detail for other Linux distros,
but then I think we are trying to make this really easy for Ubuntu users
on purpose)

>> 4) Close & search for Subsurface.  Install.

on 12.10 this doesn't generate a question about the key, but it also
doesn't install 3.0.2 but 1.2 instead - which I think makes sense since
we only have a 12.04 repository up so far, correct?

> Ah, there's one extra step before installing.  Ubuntu needs to know the
> signing key for the PPA's packages.  It's listed under "Technical
> details" on https://launchpad.net/~subsurface/+archive/subsurface.
>
> Basically, save
> http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8BC9756EE61D9C6
> to a file and import it in Ubuntu Software Center --> Edit -->
> Authentication --> Import Key File.

I don't have a 12.4 installation available to test that. Let's see if I
can somehow convert this laptop into a dual boot Ubuntu/Ubuntu machine.
But that won't happen today (and tomorrow I'll go diving for a few days)