Mailing List Request

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Mar 31 14:49:32 PDT 2013

Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm a member of multiple mailing lists for various pieces of software,
> diving clubs, diving charter boats etc. All, except this one, tag the
> subject line with the name of the group, something like
>
> [subsurface] subject
>
> This makes it easy to see what is what in my inbox.
>
> Could we adopt something similar?

A lot of people find this wasteful and annoying. Many mail readers
(especially on mobile devices) only show a certain number of characters
for the Subject line. Wasting those on a static text is just silly.

If you want to sort your messages, do so by "List-Id".

So as the list maintainer... my vote is NO.

Sure, I can be outvoted. There are about 120 people on this mailing
list. If 60 or 70 respond to this email saying "yes, please, we want
[Subsurface] with every Subject line then yes, sure, I can do that.