binaries for testing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed May 8 11:59:11 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 11:45 -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 8 de maio de 2013 11.06.25, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > http://subsurface.hohndel.org/downloads/outbox/subsurface-3.0.2-122-g1f8ac19
> > 718b8.exe
> > http://subsurface.hohndel.org/downloads/outbox/Subsurface-3.0.2-122-g1f8ac1
> > 9718b8.dmg
>
> Windows installed fine, translation to pt_BR looks mostly fine, but there are
> some words and spellings from pt_PT mixed in, including one of the menu items.

Yes - I mentioned earlier here and on IRC that the Brazilian Portuguese
translation leaves a lot of room for improvement.

> Same with Mac: it launched fine from the disk image. Unlike on Windows, it
> started in English for me. I don't know what made it choose pt_BR on Windows.

My guess is that your Windows box is configured in Portuguese (I
remember seeing that at some point) while your Mac is configured in
English? Or this is one of the odd issues where the locale name on the
Mac is different...

It should start in the language in which your OS is configured.

> I also built 3.0.2-122-g1f8ac19718b8 on Linux. It launched fine and worked just
> as on the other two.

Good

> The UI does not look nice in my opinion on Mac and Windows, but here's to
> hoping that the Qt port will make it look more native on Windows. On Linux, it
> integrates quite well with my native look and feel, except for the ugly Gtk
> file dialogs.

The UI looks terrible on Mac and ok on Windows, if you ask me. The
current Qt UI is a 100x improvement on Mac (I'm not so clear about the
look I want on Windows, I guess).

> Since I have no dives or dive computer, there's not much I can do of testing.
> Is there a sample file I could load to test?

There are lots of trivial samples included with the sources under
dives/test*.xml

Also some non-Subsurface files to try and import.

I can send you a much more detailed sample file as well.

> I tried the "Dive Locations" menu, but it always shows blank, on all three
> OSes. I navigated manually to 122°W 45°N but it was still blank. I tried this
> behind the Intel firewall.

That's the problem. The software wants to directly connect to the
internet, I bet. I don't think we enabled proxy support (as 99% of our
users will simply connect from a public hotspot on a dive trip or their
home network).