wishlist

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue May 21 06:22:12 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 11:33 +0100, Pedro Neves wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I don't know if there's already a wishlist for Subsurface, but since I
> didn't find any, I was wondering if it would be possible/feasible to
> add a few features to this amazing program.

We have a wishlist. It's called trac.hohndel.org

> So far we have a logbook module, a dive planner module and the
> statistics. I think it would be very useful to also have a dive
> analysis module.
>
> Distributing my wishes over the various modules, we could have:
>

> Logbook:
>
> - Tags: possibility to add user created tags (I would add
> "scientific", "fun")

Definitely on the list of planned features.

> - Dive profile comparison (combining 2 or more profiles in one graph.
> e.g. comparing our dive profile with the one(s) from our buddy(ies))

visually that would be very confusing - but it's certainly something
could be done

> Diveplanner:
>
> - VPM-B and Büelmann 86 (with and without GF) algorithms

There are no good free implementations available. We had talked about
this in the past but our resident physicist pretty much gave up on it.

> - Comparison between different algorithms (possibility for the user to
> compare the same dive plan using VPM and Büelmann algorithms)

I find that of extremely limited value. All these algorithms are wild
ass guesses with some heuristics on top and some magic constants to make
them match known good profiles.

But hey, YMMV

> Dive analysis:
>
> - Check tissue tensions during the dive and compare it to its M-values
> (results could be expressed as a table - like Decoplanner, or
> indicated on the dive profile graph. Important information to display
> would be the time where a given tissue tension is higher than a
> user-defined value, e.g. 80%).

Possible.

> Now, not being a programmer myself, how can I contribute to this
> effort? I  can help writing documentation, translating it (and the
> software to Portuguese), testing and also providing some reference
> info, if necessary.

That is exactly the kind of help we are looking for.

Onve the move to Qt is complete, we'll need a pretty significant rewrite
of the docs. Our Portuguese translation is incomplete (have you signed
up on Transifex?). And input is always welcome