webservice dive matching?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue May 21 07:46:29 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Mark Kampe <mark.kampe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I happily used the Android app to record the dive locations and GPS
> coordinates from a recent trip to Little Cayman.  All the dives show
> up in the Android app, and I see a good looking set of dives at:
> http://api.hohndel.org/api/div/get/?login=ZNLERR4LZHM20P27QQF50FYGV7FZB3
> whose dates and (GMT) times appear to be correct.

Nothing should ever be in GMT. If it is, either your phone was in the
wrong timezone, or the companion app is broken.

> What have I done wrong?

Likely nothing, but one thing that can happen is that if you don't
have cellphone coverage (say, you flew in from Europe and used to be
in GMT) and had your phone set on "automatic timezone", and didn't
change it, then the phone itself may be confused. You need to set the
timezone on the phone manually for those cases, since the automatic
timezone thing depends on the carrier timestamps. Exactly *because*
everything is supposed to be in local time, and if the phone is in the
wrong timezone, then obviously the companion app can't do that right.

But that sounds unlikely, since the phone being in the wrong timezone
tends to be pretty obvious. But maybe that's just my near-OCD speaking
(I can't stand clocks that are wrong).

(I've also once or twice seen a carriers that had their timestamps
completely wrong, but then it tends to be not by timezone, but "oh,
look, the phone company is 20 minutes off on some towners")

> Is there an option I did not set?

Nope, there shouldn't be. Except possibly the timezone as per above.

> Must all dive times be recorded in GMT?

No, the other way around. Subsurface records everything in localtime,
since that's usually what a dive computer will give us (with no
timezone setting).

                       Linus