wishlist - tags

Mark Kampe mark.kampe at gmail.com
Tue May 21 09:10:33 PDT 2013

Built-in tags get cumbersome and will be wrong for most people,
but a free-form text tags field is awkward to edit and display.

One of the things I liked about the Suunto Dive Manager was that it
gave me a few user-defined fields that I could use for my own
purposes.  These fields actually showed up in the edit-dive
dialogs and printed logs which made it very easy to enter and
view them.

as an example, I used them for:
     subjective warmth
     training activities carried out (I'm an instructor)
     a multi-dimensional dive quality rating

A cool approach would be to:

    allow users to define typed (e.g. boolean, enumerated, text)
    tags which would then show up (in a type-appropriate format)
    in their edit and display dialogs.

    store them in some reasonably self describing dive fields
    so that they are harmless in the xml, and clear to anybody
    reading the xml.

    either allow the supported tags to be configured (per user),
    or alternatively auto-configure the U/I based on the tags
    found in the xml (as attributes of the log).  I can see
    arguments for either approach.