webservice dive matching?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue May 21 09:11:29 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 18:06 +0200, Aurélien PRALONG wrote:
> A few words, and history.
>

> We already had a discution about how we should handle timezones in the
> mailing list. The problem was that the companion needs a absolute time
> (so timezones) to keep a coherent list. The conclusion was that in
> order to have minimal changes in the web-service, the companion would
> consider every server date as GMT, and send dates as GMT, to keep the
> whole thing coherent.
>

> So it's not really a bug, but an expected behaviour (for me), even if
> I now understand it breaks things in the desktop side.
>

> How can we fix this ? The easiest way would be to add an optional
> timezone field in the webservice, where I could add the timezone
> information for later use.

I don't think that was the conclusion we came to... and I don't know why
the companion NEEDS a time zone. Simply consider all times as "local
time wherever you are". If I dive in Japan at 10am and I look at my
dives when I'm in Oregon - I don't want the dive to be shown to me as a
2am dive. That makes no sense - the dive wasn't at 2am.

Sure, we can fix that on the server side - it still sems like the wrong
point to fix it. The Android app should ignore timezones.