wishlist

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue May 21 09:37:31 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 17:28 +0100, Pedro Neves wrote:

> Just in case one doesn't need a specific tag. For instance, I'll never
> use the "deep" (how deep is deep anyway...?) or "pool" (I don't log pool
> dives) tags...

And so having these tags in the list adds clutter. That makes sense.
I'm sure we can do that. Thanks for hanging in there and explaining :-)

> > Certainly something we can investigate. Please file a ticket :-)
> Done...

Thank you

> > Here's my analysis. It took us a solid month of work by multiple people
> > to get the current implementation in place. We've had several lengthy
> > discussions with people who were complaining about subtleties that are
> > different from the way things are done in dive computers (e.g., dive
> > computer take the ascent into account when calculating ceilings, dive
> > computers often let you exit the water before mathematically you should
> > be able to - in one example, once the ceiling is less than 20cm it lets
> > you exit, which with some slow tissues can make a several minute
> > difference in final deco stop). Adding more algorithms will take more
> > development time from developers who could work on things that are
> > interesting to a larger audience. I believe there are already a couple
> > of tools out there that allow experimentation with different models.
> >
> > Frankly for the target audience of Subsurface my guess is that fewer
> > than 1% of them are interested in this. While >50% might be interested
> > in, say, better handling of tags. Or the ability to associate pictures
> > that you took during a dive with the dive profile.
> >
> > So I'm much more likely to encourage that.
>
> I accept that.

And I will state that if Robert or someone takes the time to implement a
different algorithm then we can look at ways to visualize all this.

> >> Dive analysis:
> > Again - how many of our users will really care about this. You and...?
> > I do a bit of technical diving and I cannot envision myself looking at
> > that. But then maybe I'm wrong and there are thousands of people who
> > don't use Subsurface because it is missing this one feature :-)
>
> No worries. I can accept your view, although my interest on this
> analysis has nothing to do with technical diving. I bet that not having
> this feature isn't preventing anyone from using Subsurface, but I just
> thought that it would be a nice (and useful) feature to have. Also,
> since we already calculate the deco ceiling, I would think that doing
> this analysis would not be overly complex, or am I missing anything?

We have the tissue data. My first worry is always "how do we visualize
this without it turning into a mess". There are so many programs out
there that try to do too much at the same time and become unusable.
While I don't want to go all Apple on the users ("YOU ONLY WANT TO DO
THIS AND YOU ONLY WANT TO DO IT THIS WAY") I don't want to go to the
other extreme, either. Subsurface needs to stay easy to use for
beginners.

> > Yes, the readme was uploaded as an experiment and we (I) couldn't quite
> > figure out how to make that useful to the user, so I locked the
> > translation so translators wouldn't spend unnecessary time on it :-(
> >
> > I assume that I'll make a 3.1.1 release in a few weeks and I will of
> > course pull your Portuguese translation for that. Thank you so much.
> >
> > Would you be interested in helping to translate the website as well?
>
> I guess I could do it, but since we already have the website in
> Brazilian Portuguese, I don't quite see the point of having it also in
> "European" portuguese. I'd prefer spending time working on the
> documentation...

Last time I checked (a couple of days ago) only one or two pages were
translated to Brazilian Portuguese... I was wondering if you wanted to
add to that effory... honestly I don't know how far apart European
Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese are...

> > Yes. This has been requested by a few people and can even be extended to
> > include maintenance reminders (especially important for rebreather
> > divers). So that's definitely something that we should investigate.
>
> Cool. Let me know if I can help with anything.

We'll be looking for input on what we should store and how we should
represent (and visualize :-) ) it. But first we need to get the Qt app
to a state where the testers can consistently use it. And that's a few
more days of work away.