wishlist

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Tue May 21 10:54:42 PDT 2013

On 21-05-13 16:16, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 15:58 +0200, Jef Driesen wrote:
>> On 2013-05-21 15:22, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> User defined tags are a great way to enter custom information without
>> needing explicit support and/or a custom user interface for each type of
>> information. Do you want to mark dives as a night dive? Just create a
>> nightdive tag. People who don't care about nightdives are not annoyed by
>> a useless (from their point of view) nightdive checkbox. Of course this
>> is not limited to night dives :-)
>
> I slightly disagree. I think having a pre-defined set of tags is a good
> start (many users don't know what they could be doing with tags). But we
> definitely need to add user defined ones.
>
> That's on the to do list for the Qt port. Just not something we have
> gotten around to.

I'm fine with a pre-defined set of tags, for the same reason you mention. But I
believe being able to remove the pre-defined ones is important too, if you don't
care about the defaults ones.

>> I would even vote for supporting a hierarchical tag system, so you
>> easily categorize your tags. For example separate group for marine life
>> sightings (with subgroups for species as you wish), another group for
>> dive type/purpose (wreck, training, deep, photo, etc), and so on.
>>
>> Long time ago I made a prototype UI for this. The screenshot should be
>> self explanatory:
>>
>> http://www.subaquaclub.be/users/jefdriesen/tmp/screenshots/divemanager-dive-tags.png
>
> That's a really 90s looking UI with a high appeal to some type of
> users... not sure how much the larger diver community would like this.
> We are hoping to go a little more "modern" with the next version.
>
> But I like the idea of hierarchical tags.

Oh, but the UI wasn't the most important part of the screenshot. I just wanted
to illustrate the concept of hierarchical tags. In the sense that a picture
tells more than a hundred words... If we can come up with a fancier, more modern
UI, then I'm more than happy too :-)

>>> - Comparison between different algorithms (possibility for the user to
>>> compare the same dive plan using VPM and Büelmann algorithms)
>>>
>>> I find that of extremely limited value. All these algorithms are wild
>>> ass guesses with some heuristics on top and some magic constants to
>>> make
>>> them match known good profiles.
>>>
>>> But hey, YMMV
>>
>> Might be useful to compare the same algorithm, but with different
>> parameters. For example comparing the effects of using different GF
>> factors, using another gas mix, etc.
>
> We actually tried that (well, I did during implementing - can't remeber
> if I ever committed it) and it was visually very confusing. But sure, we
> can play with that again, maybe the Qt folks come up with better
> visualization ideas.

I agree we may need some different type of visualization for planning. But as
you mention in one of the other replies, it's not a priority.

Jef