Dive analysis and profile comparison - mockup

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Thu May 23 05:56:18 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

> On 23.05.2013, at 12:11, Pedro Neves <nevesdiver at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Pedro,
>
> > On the left hand side of the image, there's the dive analysis. Bellow
> the dive profile, there are 16 bars, representing the % M-value for each
> compartment (Buehlmann algorithm) at the instant represented by the
> vertical green line.
>
> and again what is that supposed to tell you? If have no intuition about
> the meaning of percentages of M-values. I just did a quick calculation: A
> diver that has never dived in his life but has always breathed air at
> surface pressure is at 47% of the M-value for the fastest compartment and
> at 67% for the slowest. So any additional gas loading would be above those
> values [BTW: is it clear to you what calculation I just did?].
>
> The only thing that would give me some information (and again I would
> think that is of very limited usefulness) would be to compute the ceiling
> for each individual compartment as that is a reasonable depth in meters (or
> feet). We do compute that anyway, so we could add that as lines to the
> plot. But again, the related cluttering of the plot would have to be
> outweigh by the usefulness.

My guess is that Pedro wants something like what the Suunto DM4 software
shows.  Look at
http://ns.suunto.com/Images/Suunto_DM4_with_Movescount_summary.png or
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/5812034822_642f4b80ec_b.jpg for a
couple of examples.

It might not be all that useful, but might be fun and/or pretty to see?

Henrik