having Marble find the right data files

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat May 25 11:20:49 PDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 11:03 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Have you played with the editing? That's another thing that I believe
> > has come a LONG way.
>
> So I still find the GUI elements *much* too big, and that messes with
> editing for me. Particularly the equipment page. I'd argue that
> editing a cylinder is actually harder with the new interface, because
> you can't see all the information by default because it's so wide.

This must be something in your settings. I can easily see all of it with
the Subsurface window at about 1100px wide. On your Pixel that's 40% of
the screen width :-)

We so far don't hardcode a font and pick up the system default font.
Maybe that's your problem?

> The "Dive notes" edit much better, but the lack of autocomplete makes
> the dive buddy editing much less nice, and it absolutely destroys the
> nice location editing with automatic gps fill-in that we used to have.

Yes - that's something that still needs to be implemented. We
intentionally did NOT implement the equivalent of what we had in Gtk (we
have that functionality for tanks and weights, though). I really want a
nice "tag style" autocompleting input widget. That way you can even have
more than one dive master and an arbitrary number of buddies, without
having them show up as a "set".

I guess for the location we could switch to what we used to have in Gtk
(as you usually have just one location for a dive) :-)

> So I'm ambivalent. I see the advantage of the in-place editing from a
> "it's much more obvious" standpoint, but it has some real
> disadvantages too for now..

Yes. We are at about 50% completion level when it comes to features.

But as it happens I have a trip coming up where hopefully I'll have time
to work on this some more.