having Marble find the right data files

Sergey Starosek sergey.starosek at gmail.com
Mon May 27 12:05:52 PDT 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 03:48:32PM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> I have thought about doing this as well. Given how small these files are
> I guess it's not too big of a deal - but it makes the question about the
> potential violation of Google's terms of service more difficult. If we
> use the Google maps just inside of Subsurface it is clear that they are
> not used for navigation, for example. Yet if we copy these files into
> the user's ~/.local directory then any app using Marble will (be able
> to) use the Google maps... so this is definitely going a step further
> than what I did.

Could we check through the list of installed themes
(using MapThemeManager::mapThemeIds()) for
"earth/googlesat/googlesat.dgml" and if it's there continue.
Otherwise copy our googlesat.dgml to MarbleDirs::localPath()
and delete it on exit.

Btw, setting custom data path to subsurface working dir still
caches tiles in XDG_DATA_HOME (~/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/googlesat)

Sergey