having Marble find the right data files

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Tue May 28 00:01:02 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On May 27, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Sergey Starosek wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 03:48:32PM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >>
> >> I have thought about doing this as well. Given how small these files are
> >> I guess it's not too big of a deal - but it makes the question about the
> >> potential violation of Google's terms of service more difficult. If we
> >> use the Google maps just inside of Subsurface it is clear that they are
> >> not used for navigation, for example. Yet if we copy these files into
> >> the user's ~/.local directory then any app using Marble will (be able
> >> to) use the Google maps... so this is definitely going a step further
> >> than what I did.
> >>

> > Could we check through the list of installed themes
> > (using MapThemeManager::mapThemeIds()) for
> > "earth/googlesat/googlesat.dgml" and if it's there continue.
> > Otherwise copy our googlesat.dgml to MarbleDirs::localPath()
> > and delete it on exit.
>
> Yes, that seems like a good way to do it.

Seems like a terrible way to do it IMHO.  Either we decide that we're using
Google maps within its terms (and add the files with the installer) or we
don't.  Removing the dgml on quit just seems sneaky.  Also, do we clear the
cache on exit as well?  And what happens if I have two instances of
Subsurface running at the same time?

Henrik