Planning for a 3.9 beta

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Nov 2 07:24:49 UTC 2013

Hi there,

with the tag system in I think my last major feature issue has been
addressed.

There are quite a few bugs still in the bugtracker (which needs to be
cleaned up as also there are still feature bugs in there that are in
deed already implemented).

But I am planning to release a 3.9 beta in about a week or ten days or
so. Linus and I will be diving next week and give the software a solid
workout - once we have better internet again in Korea, I plan to do the
beta.

Here is what I'd like people to do BEFORE the beta:

- test, test, test
  -- I especially want to make sure that we never mess up data files
     a UI issue is far less scary than the risk of doing random things
     and then saving and destroying data...
     So please do lots and lots of random transactions (group, ungroup,
     move, edit, change, etc) and save to a different file and compare
     to the original
- look for missing features/functionality that we had in the Gtk version

I was going to ask people to start working on
- documentation
- translations
after we have beaten on the beta for a week or two. While I don't want
to stop anyone from working on those right now, I don't want you to
waste your time in case some larger UI changes end up landing in the
weeks to come (I know that Tomaz is talking to a few designers but don't
know how big the changes will be that will come in in time for 4.0).

Finally, Linus... have we given up on a new file format?