tags and buddies

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Nov 6 19:32:03 UTC 2013

Tomaz or Maximilian,

one thing that would be really cool to have would be to replace the
current "text edit" line with buddies with the same tag editing logic.
i.e. consider each buddy simply a tag and show them as such.

is that something reasonably easy to do?

There are some challenges with this when it comes to the existing data:
since so far this was a free form text field there could be ambiguous
data in there:

<buddy>Anna Maria, Josephine and Carla</buddy>

Those should turn into the tags "Anna Maria", "Josephine", "Carla"
Kinda obvious to the human reader, but hard for an algorithm (especially
when you think about the user using their native language word for
"and").

And of course, some people may have used space to separate their buddies
before ("Anna Maria Josephine Carla" being FOUR buddies).

So I'm not sure what to do about input / conversion, but I know that
lots of people will like the ability to have "per-buddy" autocompletion.

Thoughts?