Calculating mean depth for a dive

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Nov 12 19:41:50 UTC 2013

Hey Willem,

On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 20:05 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:

> I am acutely aware that in this discussion group I am in the company of
> people a thousand times more intelligent than I can ever hope to be and
> a million times more experienced. I strongly suspect there is a
> fundamental aspect here that I have missed in this discussion. In this
> very likely event, please forgive my ignorance.

No ignorance involved, just a tiny misunderstanding. We are trying to go
the other way. Someone enters a dive and just gives max depth, mean
depth and duration. How can you create a reasonably useful profile for
that?

With the current Subsurface in master this is a moot point as we now
have the graphical profile editor - but dives can be in people's XML
file that were entered with the old version of Subsurface - and of
course dives can come from other imports where we don't get sample data,
just duration, max and mean depth.

So that's the problem that Linus' code tries to address. Your code did
the opposite: you have a profile and you calculate the mean depth. We
actually have working code for that in Subsurface already.

Thanks