Bug tracker and plans

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Nov 12 22:07:00 UTC 2013

I am reasonably certain that the people on the subsurface-trac alias are
ready to kill me at this point. I've spent the past couple of hours
trying to systematically go trough the open bugs and close them, fix
them, or ask for more information / status updates.

I also adjusted the components / versions on many of these bugs and
assigned a few to the usual suspects (Jef, Tomaz, Miika, etc).

My apologies for the roughly four gazzillion emails that went to the
bugtrack mailing list. I'm sure you all already had good filters set up
so this didn't flood your inbox :-)

On the plus side, the bug tracker seems MUCH more useful now and can
provide anyone with a few spare cycles with ideas what to work on.

I am planning to cut a 'beta' release within about a week - all depends
a bit on how much time it will take me to fix a couple of things that I
definitely want to have sorted out before doing the beta, namely the
missing pieces of "Add Dive" and "Dive Planner" - I'm mostly there, but
the tanks are not handled correctly which causes the resulting dives to
be only semi-useful... unless they are AIR only :-) .

I'll call that one 3.9 and solicit feedback from outside of this mailing
list as well. I'll have that version added to the bug tracker and hope
that we can all work together to squash the bug reports that this will
produce.

Once that has settled (here's hoping) we'll re-start the translation
effort (actually, maybe we can do some of that in parallel) and then
we'll go for a release. I had really hoped to get this out before the
end of the year (as I will be presenting on the Qt port of Subsurface at
LCA in Perth in early January), but with all the translation work that
is still needed, I think that's doubtful.

But we'll see