3.9 beta

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:35:17 UTC 2013

On 14 November 2013 22:58, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 20:13 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>> A few questions about the UI and about subsurface-Win
>>
>> 1) When hand-entering a dive profile, one can add a waypoint by
>> double-clicking a line segment. How can one delete a waypoint?
>
> That's something I've discussed with Tomaz - apparently you can select a
> point and then hit the Delete key, but that doesn't seem to work for me.
> I'd like a simple right click context menu.
>
> Please file a bug for that :-)
>
>> 2) Changing a gas on a hand-entered dive, is the following the most
>> appropriate procedure? : Click on profile gas label, select gas from
>> dropdown list, hit keyboard-enter.
>
> Well, that's the easiest way to change an individual segment. And the
> little menu is quite unfriendly as you open it with the mouse by
> clicking on the gas, but you can only close it with Esc or Enter from
> the keyboard. I filed a bug about that already.
> But actually if you want to change the gas for the whole dive, the
> easiest is to change the gas used in the tank.
> So when you start you get the default profile on gas. Change the tank in
> the Equipment tab on the left to be EAN33 and magically the profile
> changes as well. That's what I've worked on the last couple of days.
> This definitely needs to be in the manual.
>
> You offered in an earlier email to help work on the manual. The add dive
> section is one that clearly needs a complete rewrite as we didn't have
> the graphical editor before. Maybe that's a great place where you could
> start?
>
>> 3) When an entire dive list has been grouped, how does one obtain an
>> ungrouped list? Switching off autogroup on the main menu does not appear
>> to do this.
>
> No - that only removes automatically grouped dives since the last
> download of data. You can click on column headers to sort by date (or
> depth, or suit used, or...)
>
>> 4) I am clueless with Windows, not having used it for nearly 20 years.
>
> Welcome to the team. Lubomir is our Windows expert. Most of the active
> developers are Linux people (and a few like Henrik who are experts on
> the Mac).
>
>> Is anyone prepared to give me a pointer or two how to build
>> subsurface-Win 3.9? I would like to give it to my son who also dives but
>> who uses Win, so that he can play a bit with subsurface.
>
> Yes, building for Windows is really easy. On Linux (SUSE, Fedora),
> install the mingw32 cross build tools and run
>
> sh packaging/windows/mingw-make.sh
> make installer
>
> That's how all the official Windows builds are created. Building
> natively under Windows is a massive PITA. Lubomir was doing it for a
> while, not sure he still does.

yeah, i would strongly encourage cross-building from linux for now.
native windows building has a lot of pit-falls, the main one being the
pkg-config port.
currently i have this wrapper script:

:: pkg-config.cmd
@echo off
:: store last line with output into a variable
for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('_pkg-config %*') do (
set out=%%a
)
:: truncate extra CRLF from line
if "%out%" NEQ "" (
   echo %out% | tr '\r\n' ' '
)
set out=

which truncates a rogue \r\n at the end of the command's stdout.
without that Make will certainly fail under sh.

and there is also the lack of .pc files, library compilation issues, etc...
other than that our qmake handling is quite good on win32 at this point.

lubomir